Friday, November 8, 2013

Musical Offspring






Yesterday was supposed to be filled with etsy work, but I kept getting distracted by my 2 yr. old. I managed to get some of the items on my to do list checked off. Luckily, being my own boss means that I can change the schedule however I want. So, when I saw my baby counting herself in on piano, I had to stop everything and film her.



She loves the piano and who can blame her? It's a wonderful instrument. I still need to get our piano tuned and there are a couple of keys that stick, but it still sounds decent enough to play songs on.
When I was pregnant with this little one, I played dozens and dozens of shows. I practiced with the band at least once a week, sometimes more. I was worried that the bass might be too loud for her inside my womb. My doc assured me that she would be fine, so I continued to play until I had only about a month left of my pregnancy.
As she has grown, it has become apparent that the time she spent in my stomach, listening to me play bass and listening to our band play shows, has been beneficial to her. She seems to have a natural knack to be musical. She will clap her hands on time with the music without any sort of instruction. She strums the guitar when Eric forms the chords and she will sync right up with his changes. And I don't know how this happened, but this kid will play songs on the harmonica like she's been doing it for years. She plays it better than me, not that I'm really great at it, but still. I once caught her playing piano and harmonica at the same time and it sounded like an actual song. It wasn't just a jumbled bunch of notes, but it was like she had learned an actual song. I wasn't able to capture it on film, because the batteries in my camera were drained. I will catch her one of these days, though.
I know I probably just sound like some mom bragging about her kids. It's true, I am. But, I can't help it. I love my kids and they amaze me all the time. So, I just wanted to share a couple videos of my youngest amazing me. It's hard to hear her counting in on the first video, because she does it quietly. And she's not actually saying them in the right order, but it's still cute. And it cracked me up how she would hold the notes dramatically at the end and bring her fingers off the keys at the same time to stop it. So, yea, maybe I'm bragging a little. But, I'm a mom and it's allowed; as long as it's done within reason. For instance, I'm not going to be giving you updates on her potty-training status or tell you what kinds of turds she's pooping out. Although, I will say that it is kind of strange how much more you talk about poop once you have kids. It has seriously become a regularly used word in my vocabulary.

But, I digress...

Here is Maisy P on piano.







No comments:

Post a Comment